Here Is What The
Most Successful Salesperson
In America Did
- Word count for this issue: 396
- Approximate time to read: ~1.6 minutes @ 250 words per minute
There is an effective marketing technique seldom used by salespeople.
What is it? It is the method used by the most successful salesperson in the world as defined by the Guinness Book of World Records. His name is Joe Girard.
Click here to read more about Joe Girard.
Joe was a simple car salesperson who generated extraordinary results. His total sales at a Chevrolet dealership were 13,001 cars - at retail! In one year, he sold a staggering six cars a day.
Step 1: He Sent A "Thank You For Your Business" And "Happy Anniversary" Card.
Nearly all of his sales were a result of referrals. You could rightfully say that Joe Girard was the most successful referral marketer of all time.
What he did was this: He sent thank-you notes to every person who bought a car from him. He also sent a "happy anniversary" card on the one-year anniversary of the purchase. He also sent a postcard once a month to everyone he knew.
Step 2: He Asked Each Customer For A Referral.
This referral system resulted in Joe becoming the # 1 car salesperson in the world seven years in a row.
How You Can Ask For Referrals; Because If You Don't Ask, The Answer Is "NO!"
Here are some examples that you can use today:
- The moment a customer has thanked you.
- The moment a customer places a second order.
- The moment a customer needs a favor from you.
- The moment someone initially buys from you.
How To Ask For Referrals?
- "Who do you know that could use or benefit from our ________________?"
- Mail a "Thank You For Your Business" Greeting Card (also insert a referral reward program card).
- Mail a postcard to your customers with the headline: "Someone You Know Needs A Better (insert what you sell here)."
Now Take This Step.
Customers that give referrals become more loyal to you and your business. Once someone stands up and makes a public statement about you, psychologically they will become more loyal to you and your business. That said, make a list of everyone right now that you can ask for a referral(s)?